Backscale design/tenor scale

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:22:35 EDT

Brian, Rob:

I just rebuilt a 1885-90 Sohmer 6'3" 21 bass.  Has plain wire down to note
22.  I obtained this piano unstrung, with no stringing scale, but it came
with a set of bass strings (from Tuners Supply!).   Being a naturally
non-math person, I have not been interested in rescaling - until now.   I
restrung using a Sohmer scale out of Travis, but nothing actually fit the 21
bass scale so I crap-shooted down there (I admit it).  It sounds terrible
from notes 21 to 26, so now I am interested in scaling..... I read what was
on hand - Roberts and Travis/Hayes - and concluded that the Sohmer should
have used bichord wound strings from notes 22 to about 26 or 27.  Comparing
this piano with a Baldwin L, another thing that stood out (finally getting to
Brian T's point) was the back length.  The distance from the rear of the
bridge to the string rest in an "L" is close to 5.5", and the Sohmer is about
2.5".  The Baldwin permits the tenor string backlength to extend past the
bass bridge, which is placed far enough to the right.   Pretty good sounding
piano except for this and the first treble break (maybe because there is no
step out).   I can't change back length much - the bass bridge is in the way.
 But I am interested in what I can do with wire size and type (wound?).

I want to be sure plain wire won't work first.  Now I have #22 on F#/G2 (48
5/8" speaking length), #21 on G#/A2 (G# is 46 1/2") and #20 on the next four
notes (A# is 47 7/8").  Any suggestions?

This is a pre-bridge-agraffe Sohmer, 88 note, had rocker capstans ('nother
story - as was the glued-on-the-block tuning pin "bushings").

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<<
 In a post back on 4/23, Del wrote:

 "Especially in short pianos the back
 scale length is nearly as important as the speaking length.  Sometimes more
so."

 I've been wondering if anyone, Del, Ron, or anyone who has a knowledge of
scale design would like to pick up on this.   Is this referring to the length
of string between the rear bridge pin and the hitch pin that often speaks in
the treble end of the piano?   >>