Hex wire

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 12 May 1999 11:30:38 EDT

Thanks, Ron:

You wrote:
<It's hard to tell out of context, what's happening with the Sohmer scale. If
you can get me a full scale (lengths, core diameters, wrap diameters), I'll
see what you've got. I am curious, and maybe I can help some.>

I posted only the tenor plain wire scale;  I will be able to take the rest
down tonight after a day's work in the field.  Probably midnight your time....

I'll post again (if it helps) the tenor section on the 6'3" Sohmer - all is
plain wire trichord:

Note is F#2 (note 22), wire size 22, speaking length 48 5/8"
Note is G2 (note 23), wire size 22.
Note is G#2 (note 24), wire size 21, speaking length 46 1/2".
Note is A2 (note 25), wire size 21.
Note is A#2 (note 26), wire size 20, speaking length  47 7/8".
wire size 20 continues through D3.

I have never crunched any scale formulas, but from what I read so far, I
think I need to figure the catenary curve (this piano has no step outs, and
has four sections - two treble struts), tension (% breaking tension) then
figure the wire size in the compromised tenor section - should I favor
maintaining % breaking tension here?;  I understand that the wire size should
increase as the tenor length becomes shorter than the curve, and that at a
certain point wound string is preferable, with a shorter speaking length.   I
still have to get my hands on the last 4 years of Journals (still have
duplicates from the 80's if anyone wants to trade), but want to read the most
recent stuff on scaling).

I have Travis'  Guide to Restringing, and most of the Roberts Journal
articles in the Calculating Technician series.  You also recommended Del's
articles of the last four years (any particular article which might be
relevant here?)

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA