CA vs Epoxy

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 May 1999 09:37:38 EDT

mcpiano@globetrotter.net writes:

<< n one old upright I was restringing, I found tuning pin shims, you know the
 metal type that should be used for fishing weight only. Well, no oversize
 pin would be tight enough for the piano. I first used epoxy, filled the
 holes, waited a day or two and then redrilled. I found that this would work
 for me. The drilling process would heat the epoxy, making it softer and then
 the pins would have a very mushy feel. >>

Marcel:

When I have done this, instead of waiting for the epoxy to dry and then
drill, I insert a pin in the hole with the epoxy, and allow that to dry. I
then remove the pin, and repin with a larger one. I did an open faced Weber
that way. After 10 years, it is still doing great. I must admit the torque
doesn't feel like a wood block, but the pins are holding, which is the
primary reason for the repair.

Willem Blees