Ron, bass bridge undercutting... Ron & Del

Thu, 13 May 1999 08:30:50 -0700

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> ....  I'd say keep it simple and glue it down, which brings up another
> point. I've always wondered why rebuilders seem to want to glue bridges down
> with clamp pressures that exceed the crush point of the panel. I've always
> just glued with Titebond and clamped them on with one screw and a soundboard
> button between each rib along the length of the bridge, with an auxiliary
> clamp at the extreme treble of the long bridge for luck until the glue
> dries. No dowels through ribs, or other odd constructions, underneath.
> Haven't had one drop off yet. What do you other installers of bridges out
> there do?

Ditto.  Especially, the part about no dowels through the ribs.

I've long wondered about the practice of putting a screw and/or a dowel through
the rib and into the soundboard.  True, in the case of the compression crowned
soundboard the rib is fighting the formation and maintenance of crown.  But in
every other case we are depending on the structural stiffness of the rib to hold
crown and support the string downforce load.  Why, then, would we want to weaken
the rib by drilling a hole through it at precisely the point where we want it to
be the strongest?

Del