Restringing in the home

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:08:52

Hi Tom,
        I prefer to go two sizes over on old pianos, hand reaming with
.010" undersize drill in a heavy duty tap wrench. I have found that it
produces very even torque, at about 100 to 110lbs.
The newer piano I would hand ream the same way to accept 3.0 pins.
As a standard practice, I always redamper any piano that I restring, it
seems just as fast to do this than paly with old indented felt, trying to
get rid of leaky dampers.
I have had no problems just installing the pins with out fluids.
Mic all TP's before starting, it's amazing how often one finds a 2.0 pin in
a 3.0 box. Some boxes I have rejected as many as 20 pins.
Regards Roger

At 05:03 PM 5/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear List -
>
>I've been asked to restring a 1972 Hamburg Steinway "B" and a 1921 NY
>Steinway "L" in the customer's home.
>
>The pianos both have very loose pins, and the wire has lost its resilience
>and tone (plain and wound strings). The instruments don't stay in tune for
>any appreciable length. Both have original tuning pins.
>
>Should I go up to a 4/0 pin, or will a 3/0 suffice? How do I make the
>determination?
>Any recommendations about tuning pins? I like the Japanese ones in Yamaha,
>but would they work in the Steinway blocks?
>Pin driving fluid? Source, or if make-it-myself, what is a good formula?
>I assume that damper felts will need to be replaced. Is this true? Cut my
>own, or precut from S&S?
>The actions will need regulation; the hammers will need filing and voicing.
>Anything to look out for given the new wire?
>
>Thank you in advance for any replies or comments.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Tom Sheehan
>RPT - NYC Chapter

Roger Jolly