Refinishing prices

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:30:27 -0700

Keith,

I read through the info sheet during our latest local meeting last Friday -
after I had posted this.  Still, there wasn't anything there that I hadn't
seen before.  I had received several private replys - some reiterating the
official policy and some that are sick of hearing about it.  Seems that the
latter think that this policy has the odor of lawyers (on both sides)
seeking to justify their retainers.

After I had read through the policy again, I tend to agree that the
potential penalties make it better to be safe than sorry.  If I had it to do
over again, I would not have posted the request on the list.  I assumed that
if I was requesting information from out of my market area, it couldn't be
construed as anti-competitive.  But this assumes common sense, which is a
false assumption when in the area of gov. regulations and the lawyers paid
to keep us safe from them.  I really only wanted to discuss how others were
structuring their costs - ie, per foot, square foot, difficulty, whatever.
Even if this is interpreted as contrary to the relelvent regulations, I
still feel that it is ethical and not anticompetitive.  I think that this is
the sort of colaboration that is (or at least should be) a part of a
professional association.  It's sad that we have to tip-toe around like
this, and deprive our members of the sort of sharing in business matters
that we have in technical areas.

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
Mail Stop 100, Cheney WA 99004