Sandblasting Revisited

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 May 1999 22:04:05 EDT

I said that glass beads and sand are unacceptable media with which to blast
actions.

Stan Kroeker writes;
<<With the greatest respect, Bill, so far this is your unsubstantiated
opinion only.>>

Thank you for your response to my post Stan.

To help elucidate the issue, can you provide the list with any logical
argument whatsoever that spraying highly abrasive dust into a piano action is
harmless to very soft felt, wood, and brass centers? Especially over time?  I
think that it stands to reason that this is not a good idea.  I really would
like to hear a defense of this.

In the past "sand" blasters have asserted that no damage was noted in the two
days in which the action was in the shop.  How about over the next 2 years,
or 10 years, of heavy playing?

Almond shells are logically harmless, bead blast grit (  shattered glass bead
fragments) is logically harmful. Why would one use the possibly harmful
material other than to deliberately wear out centers to get further work
replacing same down the road?

Is there a mental leap I am missing here?

Please do respond Stan, I really want to learn.

Bill Simon
Phoenix

P.S. - Stan, do you have a microscope?