wire splicing

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Fri, 14 May 1999 11:16:28 -0700

Have You considered the following.

1) Practice on thin wire first, work your way up.
    I finally learned splicing the week before my tech. exam
    only because I had to. Now its my first choice.
    I ripped out some top octave string from a junk piano
    being pillaged for parts in my shop and used 12 gauge wire.
    A piece of scrap pinbock with two pins drilled and installed
    about a foot apart makes a good practice tool.
2)  Leave enough excess to be safe, you can trim it later.
3)  Are you using round nose pliers for the loops,
     I first tried needle nose, causing a kink in the wire;
     it encourages breakage.
4)  For large wire Use a half size up for your string segment,
     It has less chance of failing then with two identical diameter
     sting segments.
5)  Don't expect to close it up much by hand, in the beast.
6)  after a little practice you will have a reliable expectation
     as to how much the wire will stretch to judge to knot placement.
7) This can be done in a few min., makes it worth learning, the time
     invested with pay of many times over.
     Practice, practice............