Steinway regulation

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 15 May 1999 13:40:48 +0200

TropBaby@AOL.COM wrote:

> I am a new piano tech and I am regulating my 1964 Steinway Model L  before I
> sell it. The key dip is 11/32 when it should be 13/32 but the hammer blow
> distance is   1 15/16 instead of 1 3/4. If I adjust the dip properly the blow
> distance will be even larger or it will have too much after touch and if I
> adjust the blow distance properly the key dip will be even less. The piano
> plays well although I remember it always felt "shallow" even though I liked
> that at the time.Any ideas as to what to do? I called Steinway and they were
> no help.
> Thanks
> Larry Trop  in Orange County, CA

Sounds like you need to regulate from bottom up. Its important to understand that
all these regulating points are "variables". If the measurements you report are
consistant then perhaps some previous tech was trying to accomplish something by
applying a twist to standard adjustments. Key dip should not affect hammer to
string distance by the way. Perhaps you were refering to aftertouch ?? Perhaps I
misunderstand...

A good quick approach to achieving a reasonable ok regulation is a stripped down
version of Yamahas aftertouch method. Simply regulate hammer to string distance
by regulating the capstan on the key under the whippen (make sure you have enough
repetition spring tension). Then adjust letoff and drop to acceptable tolerances,
then adjust key dip by inserting or replaceing paper under the front rail key
felts. If you cant achieve enough aftertouch and still maintain resonable key
dip, then raise or lower the hammer to string distance accordingly and run
through the routine once more, this time just quickly double checking the let of
and dip as it shouldnt be by a change in hammer to string distance.

This leaves a lot undone, and if it is to be successfull it relies on a good deal
of other variables being ok to begin with, ie key height, repetition lever to
jack, jack to knuckle angle, etc etc ad absurdum. But if you are in a hurry and
these things look ok it should provide an ok result. My experience is that if the
above quickie results in a noticibly bad regulation, then you really need to go
the whole route and regulate each point properly and in order.

Richard Brekne