Steinway regulation

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 16 May 1999 10:28:38 +0200

>>I am a new piano tech and I am regulating my 1964 Steinway Model L  before
>>sell it. The key dip is 11/32 when it should be 13/32 but the hammer blow
>>distance is   1 15/16 instead of 1 3/4. If I adjust the dip properly the
>blow
>>distance will be even larger or it will have too much after touch and if I
>>adjust the blow distance properly the key dip will be even less. The piano
>>plays well although I remember it always felt "shallow" even though I liked
>>that at the time.Any ideas as to what to do? I called Steinway and they
>were
>>no help.
>>Thanks
>>Larry Trop  in Orange County, CA

This instrument needs a normal Steinway regulation.
With normal I mean that Steinway has  Steinway specifications, weights and
measures for every part and every regulation procedure like:
Key dip - hammer alignment - hammer travel - hammer spacing -  let off -
hammer drop - back check - springs - hammer blow - key frame, and all the
numerous other things we have to do in order to make a beautiful touch and
tone.
Again, to obtain these data one should buy the Steinway manual. If one doesn
't, then it is like trying to drive a car without  driving lessons, usually
resulting in a car accident and possibly a wreck.
Now to answer your specific question about Steinway key dip : on models S
through B, key dip is set at 9,5 mm. On models C and D the key dip is 9.75
mm.

friendly greetings,

Antares