Steinway regulation

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 May 1999 09:51:01 EDT

 richard writes:

>  . Did you ever get a chance to see the Horowitz grand. I have had
>the
>pleasure of viewing it and checking it out both before and after the Hamburg
>people ruined it.
<snip>
>I understand that
>New York people are re-restoring it to Horowitz's preferences now. Key
>word there... preferences.

    Greetings,
    I was under the impression that that piano was originally restored in New
York.  I was fortunate enough to examine it there before the work, and David
Grossi, who was head of Restoration at the time, told me later that it had
been done there.
    I was asking him about the fate of the hammers that had been taken off
the piano,  since to me,  they represented a significant bit of knowledge
about how that piano was sounding when Horowitz died.  I was told that the
factory position was parts were either good or bad, and the hammers were
deemed bad and were tosssed out.  To me, rebuilding that particular action is
akin to taking Leonardo Da Vinci's paint brushes and cleaning them all up!
   I could hope that this total lack of conservatorship was not true, but I
think those hammers are gone. anything else is just a guess that depends on
living ears to extrapolate.  <sigh>
Regards,
Ed Foote