Steinway regulation

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 16 May 1999 11:43:57 -0500 (CDT)

>Uhhhh, do I need to get a newer Steinway manual? Mine gives "recommended"
>specs, not specific specs. Does Steinway now specify absolute
>specifications? :-)
>
>Best and also friendly greetings,
>
>Gina
>
>Gina Carter
>Charlotte NC

Hi Gina, List,
I honestly don't see how they could, since they have never produced them.
That's not a slam, just a fact as a consequence of how the pianos are built.
I think Steinway has (mostly) always tried to make the best piano they
thought they could, by the best means at their disposal, but nobody knows
everything there is to know about pianos. The details have been tinkered
with continuously, and rightly so, and the "standards" have drifted around
some as a consequence ( this from the field, not the marketing department,
and Steinway isn't the only manufacturer that did/does this). Some
experiments are obviously going to work better than others, and the
anomalies will be out there haunting the industry for a very long time. From
a practical service standpoint, you can't define a moving target with hard
coordinates, The choices as I see them here are to either settle on what
seems to you to be the best compromise, working with the action geometry you
have, or re-engineer and rebuild the action as necessary to meet the
published specs. What other choices are there? If this were a Starr, Mehlin,
Everett, Chickering, Knabe, Baldwin, Mason & Hamlin, etc, instead of a
Steinway, what would you do?

 Ron