para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:20:44 +0200

Hi Tom.

Thanks for your input to my queries. I wonder if I might trouble you for a
couple other tidbits of information. I am drawing up an essay you see, mostly
to sort out my own understanding of some things about tuning that have bothered
me for some time. If you want to take a look at what I have so far then check
out the page address below. Be advised tho that there are still present some
akward wordings, and some statements that are directly wrong. When I get it all
right, well then I will have gained the knowledge I am after at this stage.

In that regard I'm trying to hunt down the formula for the String Stiffness,
and how that relates to String Frequency. I seem to remember some years ago
somebody wrote in an attempt to describe inharmonicity, that knowing the string
stiffness of any given string would allow one to figure the frequencies of all
partials just by reducing the lenght of the string by the appropriate amount in
a formula that translated stiffness and lenght into frequencies.

Now I know now that this notion of figureing partial frequencies does not hold
true. Yet it was a neatly packed in "theoretical" notion that I need for my
essay.

http://home.c2i.net/ric/octbehavior.html

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Richard Brekne