Steinway regulation

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 17 May 1999 17:35:51 EDT

Andre;
 How about if I/we had answered in the following manner?
In a message dated 5/15/1999 12:55:40 AM, Larry wrote:

<<"I am a new piano tech and I am regulating my 1964 Steinway Model L  before
sell it. The key dip is 11/32 when it should be 13/32">>

Larry the key dip on a S&S 'L' is to be set at "approximately" .420 inches
but it should be noted that keydip can vary within a suggested range of .390
inches and .420 inches. However extremely shallow keydip will result in loss
of power. Extremely deep key dip will result in reduced performance and the
sharps buring below the naturals.

<<" but the hammer blow distance is   1 15/16 instead of 1 3/4. ">>

Larry have the hammers been filed? or do they need to be filed now? If so
then the specification blow distance measurements will result in reduced
perfomance due to shorter hammer lengths if you try and get the action
totally regulated to "specs".

<<"If I adjust the dip properly the blow distance will be even larger or it
will have too much after touch and if I adjust the blow distance properly the
key dip will be even less. ">>

 Larry I think that you have 'two' terms somewhat confused, and it is common,
"key dip" does not change with the raising or lowering of the hammer line,
however 'aftertouch' is definitely directly and proportionally affected by
the same raising or lowering of the hammer line. Compromise is called for in
this situation in at 'least' two of the three factors, HL/KD/AFT, and perhaps
none will be at "specification".
  In your situation I believe that I would set my "keydip" where I wanted it,
and make everything else work, as well as it can be made to work, and
following the ratios given as "specs", from there.

<<"The piano plays well although I remember it always felt "shallow" even
though I liked that at the time.Any ideas as to what to do? I called Steinway
and they were no help.">>

 Larry it is really hard to interpret "shallow" without being at the piano.
Two possible reasons for the "shallow" feel would be either very little
'aftertouch' or an actual "shallow" key dip setting. There are other things
that might make a player complain of "shallowness" but these are the most
common.

 In summation Larry, since your 'L' is 35 years old, with all the wear and
tear attendant to such age, the "original factory specifications" will be
extremely useful as a "guide" but you 'will not' be able to set all, or
perhaps any, of the specs according to those given  measurements.  When your
piano was brand new the factory specs were "approximate" settings even in the
factory, and now that your instrument is older they are even more of an
"approximate" setting.

Andre, is that more some gooder? :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)