Yamaha C3 problem

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 17 May 1999 23:06:40 -0700

Don wrote:

> I am having a problem with a 1.5 year old C3. On two occasions string #39
> (A2 bass side) has broken. Both times at the bridge (sounding length side).
> Has anyone had similar problems?
>
> And, yes, it is in a church. I have suggested using a microphone and sound
> system with the instrument and providing the pianist with a monitor, and
> have deliberately reduced hammer blow on this note.
> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

I had 8 strings break at C2 in 8 months on a new Young Chang.  Solution
was a) to make the feedback to the pianist so loud she couldn't hear the
voices and/or instruments she was supposed to be accompanying without
lowering her volume, and b) to restring the bass with heavier core and
lighter windings (scaled by Mapes "to resist breakage").

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA