Termites!

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:17:26 EDT

<<"my hand pushed the sanding block right into the rim - no wood present
under the veneer - thanks to those little buggers.  IOW those things CAN be
really
destructive. btw the instrument had been brought here from *Florida*.">>

Nah those probably aren't/weren't "termites" they probably were "Powder Post
beetles". We breed them by crossing fleas from swamp cats and Formosan
termites :-)  A hall mark of PPB infestation is "cored out" wood and round
"droppings".  Usually termites do not core out wood and they usually will not
attack pianos unless the piano touches carpet with a wooden
surface............but PPB are airborne thingees and will attack anything
anywhere.  The only way to get rid of a PPB infestation is by fumigating with
gas, not a do-it-yourself project but one most reputable pest control
companies can do for a reasonable charge.
Jim Bryant (FL)