Burke Virginia on anybody's route?

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 18 May 1999 21:55:57 -0400

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> Hi all,
>    My brother's piano needs a tuning and some minor repair.  This piano is a
> solid maple, (truly!) Hallet & Davis upright, made in 1865 I think.  It has
> the staggered agraffes on the bridge and a flat,(by design) soundboards.  I
> rebuilt it right after getting out of school in 1977, and it has been played
> hard since.
>    Who is on the list in that neck of the woods?
> REgards,
> Ed Foote

Hi,Ed.  I tuned your brother's piano today. The rebuild is holding up
very nicely. Two stickers broke on me while removing the action to fix a
jack flange.  CA glue to the rescue. I see that others broke before me!

The repair took hours(I'm too embarrased to say how many) because it
took a while to find the source of the noise (center pin rubbing
neighbor) then I had to figure out how to take the thing apart. Then,
once some parts broke, I slowed way down to prevent further failures.

Strange design. It's almost as hard to service as a drop action.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild