Termites!

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Tue, 18 May 1999 23:55:27 -0400

Bob,

Here were I live (Caracas, Venezuela ) we have a lot, if you ever run out of
them I can send you by the thousands.

Be very careful with what exterminators use if it has not been proven on
pianos. I have seen more pianos ruined by furniture experts, than by the
same termite. Some products react with metal and render strings useless,
other products will change wood tonality... etc.

I have been using a method that has worked quite well, it must be done
slowly, carefully and preferably by someone who knows where to use it.

I have been using a product which is made by Bayer, and is called "Cilamon"
( You could try finding Bayer in Internet and ask for it if you cannot find
it at stores in your locality )

Dilute it  50/50 with Kerosene, locate as much as you can of the wholes
where they tunnel and inject them with this product. afterwards seal the
wholes, or if the cavity is large fill it with CA Glue (Here I fill it with
an acrylic product they sell for the purpose ) as an extra precaution, I put
a plastic all around the piano, seal it air tight and inject inside on the
floor more of this mixture, with the purpose of suffocating them, I leave it
this way about a week. Sometimes is wise to repeat the airtight part about
20 days afterwards, just in case there were eggs and hatch.

Good Luck

Elian Degen

Look for