Another thought about Steinway, and specific measurements in general

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 19 May 1999 11:09:03 -0400

To the credit of Steinway, they have recently worked on narrowing the
amount of variation in key ratios so that their instruments vary within
acceptable parameters.  Their idea is still to create instruments with
varied action quality (personality) so that clients may have more choice of
what best suits them.  Steinways of a century ago generally have higher key
ratios and were designed for very light hammers.  I think key ratios have
evolved to their lower limit in recent years, and hammer weight has evolved
to it's upper limit.
We are talking NY Steinway here.  Hamburg makes the action with fixed key
ratio design.   Even with fixed ratio instruments such as the Hamburg
Steinway there will be subtle variations in overall action ratios.  It's
the nature of the beast.

Any change in key ratio will change the overall action ratio and this will
effect the regulation specs.  Generally speaking, the higher the action
ratio the shallower the dip and/or the greater the blow to acheive a
specific quality of aftertouch.  Therefore rigid specs have little meaning.
Also, technicians have the choice of knuckles mounted anywhere from 15.5mm
to 17.0mm from the hammer center.  This too has a great influence on
overall action ratio.

David C. Stanwood