C-A glue for pin blocks (update)

Wed, 19 May 1999 12:53:01 -0500

Frank and Jon,

At 13:42 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Jon Page wrote:
>> After a generous dose of CA to firm-up the pins, has anyone tried to
remove the plate?

>I use this method on old clunkers, only.  I am just trying to buy some
time before replacement becomes necesarry.  You won't see me use this on a
quality piano.
>Frank Cahill

Yesterday I pulled the plate from the S&S B (1957 vintage) which I had
nursed along this year with _judicious_ applications of CA.

After all pins and screws were removed, I pulled up by hand on the top
section capo and the plate rocked easily - no feeling whatever of gluing
plate to pinblock.  The pinblock is well varnished and visually it is hard
to tell which splotch was caused by CA and which by water spill.  CA which
puddled up in tuning pin plate holes just dropped or popped off.

To me it confirms my suspicion that - lacking a clean pair of surfaces -
use of CA doesn't impact rebuildability.   However, the jury is still out
until, if and when, I get in a certain diminuitive Schumann into which I
applied about 2 oz.  That is the scenario Jon was contemplating, I think.
It has tuning pin bushings, which I could imagine _could_ be fun to remove,
since they would have probably wicked CA right through to the plate and
become a solid CA/wood chunk.

I and my 1/2" drill could certainly tell torque differences! BTW, almost
every pin showed evidence of plate rubbing, bent pins sure are fun to spin
out...

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician 	mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College				(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

"Far too noisy, my dear Mozart.  Far too many notes."
 - Emperor Ferdinand of Austria 1.5.1786