para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 19 May 1999 14:30:49 -0500 (CDT)

>This should whet your appetite for awhile. BTW, no amount of voicing is
>going to get rid of that sharp peak if it is longitudinal in nature. In
>1967 we did an experiment where we clamped vise grips on the bridge pin
>to eliminate the longitudinal peak, but of course that greatly modified
>the tone of the note.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

All right Jim, now you've gone and done it. I'm confused. Could you please
'splain this one to me real slow (you know how I am)? How would the vise
grip eliminate longitudinal peaks? I have been curious about this
longitudinal stuff for some time, but haven't yet taken the time to explore
it enough that I understand how it works, or is calculated. I'd be
interested in as much practical detail as you can muster when you get a
minute... or so.  %-)

 Ron