>>SURVEY RESULTS<<

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 19 May 1999 23:49:15 -0500

A big thanks to all those who chose to participate in the survey.  A
total of twenty responses were received.  Below are the results.
There were a few isolated cases where the answers were left blank or
there was commentary which did not indicate a clear "yes" or "no".  In
such cases I did not tally in the point.

1.  Do you feel that we, (the U.S.), should be involved in the war in
Kosovo/Yugoslavia?
9 answered YES                    11 answered NO

2.  Should we withdraw from the situation and find a way to pull out
as soon as possible?
12 answered YES                        8 answered NO

3.  Do believe the effort should be expanded to include ground troops?

8 answered YES                          12 answered NO

4.  Do you believe that this war is a matter of national
interest/security?
9 answered YES                        11 answered NO

5.  Are we risking world peace with China/Russia, or other nations?
13 answered YES                        7 answered NO

6.  Do you approve of Clinton's handling of the situation?
3 answered YES                          16 answered NO              1
point not counted

7.  Do you see a victory to be won?
3 answered YES                            17 answered NO

8.  Is the expense, (currently over 11 Billion), a worthy investment?
6 answered YES                            13 answered NO
1 point not counted

9.  Do you feel that refugees should be coming to the U.S.?
11 answered YES                           9 answered NO

10.  As a world power, is it our responsibility to be involved in such
situations?
9 answered YES                            11 answered NO

11.  Do you think that new gun laws will prevent teen crime?
3 answered YES                            17 answered NO

12.  Do we have enough gun laws already?
16 answered YES                            3 answered
NO                1 point not counted

13.  Do you believe, in general, that congress is doing a good job?
4 answered YES                            15 answered
NO                1 point not counted

14.  Do you believe, in general, that Clinton is doing a good job?
4 answered YES                            14 answered
NO                2 points not counted

My primary inspiration for all of this was a local morning talk radio
program which was discussing the sources and legitimacy of the
so-called polling data that the news folks use.  They always seem to
have statistics, yet if you ask around you can never find anyone who
can say they actually participated in one of these.  Makes you
wonder.  Anyway, perhaps this sheds a dim light on what people are
thinking about on today's hot topics.  Thanks for playing!

Rob Goodale, RPT
University of Nevada, Las Vegas

P.S., I appreciate some of the commentaries that accompanied the