para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Thu, 20 May 1999 08:37:25 -0400

At 10:45 PM 5/19/99 -0700, Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:
>Hi Bob:
>
>I'm glad you cleared that up. I knew that the RCT measures both ways.
>Does TuneLab measure both ways also?

  I suppose you could measure inharmonicity in TuneLab by selecting
the note in the overtone series corresponding to the desired partial
and then matching the pitch using offset, but that method is not
even suggested in my manual.  The preferred method of measuring
inharmonicity in TuneLab is to sound the note for up to 6 seconds
and let the program do the analysis.  It will come up with offsets
for each partial with respect to the rational ratioes of the lowest
partial that can be detect.  I was unaware that RCT offered the
SAT-style method of measuring inharmonicity.

-Bob Scott
 Real-Time Specialties