quick help needed for scratched surface

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Thu, 20 May 1999 13:44:25 -0600

Hi, Jay,
	Two answers, here. One (the one you won't like) is:
		>So......I've never dealt with refinishing.
		>The director says he wants to "repair it right."
Compare the above sentences, and decide.

The other answer is,
Get a poly repair kit from .... Schaff, for example, and read the
instructions very well. Practice on a little removable piece in private,
and then proceed to fix the lid.
Lid repairs with poly are the easiest, and the hardest. Hard because
they're SO visable... Easy because there usually isn't a need for major
dams or vertical surface repairs. If it's "Just a scratch", then all you'll
be doing is the most complete polishing procedure you've ever done.
(assuming you've never refin'd) If there's a gouge or crack/dent, then
you've got some work ahead of you. Call for other bids, if there's a poly
repair person in your area, and figure your learning-curve time at.....
double. The kit will run you under a hundred-and-a-half. The kit itself
will last a long time, but the poly has a shelf-life about 6 mos. Read the
instructions again.  Minor poly scratches can be rubbed out with high
quality acrylic enamel buffing compounds. Minor cracks can be fixed with CA
glue. (thin).
Other than the use of CA, I don't know of any successful short-cuts.
Attempts can cost you.... big-time.
Most of my poly repair time is spent on my own stock. When I do it for
others, it's very lucrative.
Enjoy.

Guy Nichols, RPT
Fort Stinkin' Desert, NM.
"Where High Polish becomes Satin, Naturally"