Who buys olde squares?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 20 May 1999 17:19:27 EDT

David:

Received a call from a non-client wanting to ascertain the value of their
McPhail square grand the other day.  The lady was not interested in a service
call/evaluation/appraisal, but still hoped to glean from the conversation
what the value of her piano was.  She said she had spoken with a furniture
dealer in Orange County who would not pay more than $500, but could sell it
for $45,000!  The dealer had allegedly just sold one for $45K, and claimed to
have a market of buyers in that price range.  The caller hoped to obtain a
similar story from me, because she is moving and wants to sell her square.  I
was not, of course, able to help her with this.

Since we should not rely on hearsay for establishing value, this story should
be discounted.   But I wonder if the longstanding position of the square in
the $1K to $5K ballpark is changing.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA

<< A friend in Auburn, California is looking to sell an old (1870's), intact
 Vose & Sons square.  Serial #8387.  I really don't know anything about the
market
 for such pianos (being one of those technicians who works mostly
 on old uprights) but would like to point him in the right direction.  What
are
 such old squares worth? Who is looking for them? Etc?

 -david parkhurst