quick help needed for scratched surface

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 20 May 1999 21:01:38 -0700

Jay:
    I do a lot of these repairs.  If you want to do the repair, you will
need the right materials and equipment.  Otherwise you will not be able
to get the repair done right.
    When you look at the damages, first you must know how deep the
damage is.  Can you catch your fingernail on the scratch?  If so, you
will have to sand it out, or fill it with polyester if you think it is
too deep to sand out.  If the finish isn't too badly scratched, and you
can't catch your nail in it, you may not have to sand it out, but hand
buffing may be sufficient.  You can use the Mohawk Polybuff system, or
the 3M system sold in automotive stores to buff out the area.  Mohawk
has various polishes and sanding papers to do the job by hand.
Meguiar's Mirror Glaze company also sells various polishing products for
use by hand or machine.  Contact Webb Phillips for the Konig system
(very good) which includes fast curing polyester and all the polishes to
do the job by hand.  If you plan to do this work regularly, get a
Milwaukee polisher from Home Depot and the buffing wheels and compounds
from Esquire Piano.  They will set you up with all the things you need
to do this work, including polyester.  They are very knowledgeable, and
will be glad to help.
    I will be glad to supply more info including phone #'s of the above
references.  I have used all of the products except the 3M system (but
others swear by them, so you might like them).
    Sorry I haven't been more detailed, but you will have to be more
specific regarding the problem(s) you fnd.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego