quick help needed for scratched surface

Phil_Glenn@yca.CCMAIL.compuserve.com Phil_Glenn@yca.CCMAIL.compuserve.com
Fri, 21 May 1999 15:38:26 -0400

     Young Chang has the polyester you should use to match the color, but
     we don't have any of the actual repair tools and other products you
     will need. Jim's right about taking a class or having some tutoring
     before you attempt this, especially a top lid repair. Any mistakes
     will show up big time in the right light. It might be worth hiring a
     touchup tech to go out with you so you can watch  and learn.
     I don't know if Schaff still caries the Konig kit but I do believe
     that  Web Phillips does, 215-674-2555.  You'll also need a buffer and
     buffing wheels.  If you don't plan on doing much of this work, any
     high speed drill could work for small repairs. Another good source for
     supplies and advice is Esquire Piano in California  562-483-1432.

     I'll be teaching a basic class in Kansas City this July.  Stop by and
     we'll take a lot of the fear out of attempting these often simple
     repairs.

     Phil Glenn
     YCA
Hi Jay:

Until a person has a good bit of experience with polyester repairs, a small
scratch usually turns out to be a big looking repair. We have classes on
this at our seminars and conventions. It involves many grades of abrasive
paper, each successive grade taking out the scratches left by the previous
grade after the scratch has been filled with poly material. Schaaf sells
a Koenig poly repair kit. I paid $39 for it the last time 10 years ago.
However, it may be that you could get the right stuff from Young Chang
Service. Sometimes the repair kits do not have the same shade of black that
you will need. There is a lot of other equipment which one needs to properly
do this kind of repair so that it will not advertise itself later. Buffing
wheels or bonnets, razor blades, etc. If you have never done this before
it would be well to ask around for who is really good at this, then the
next time you may be better prepared to do this yourself, having attended
a class on the subject.

Jim Coleman, Sr.