Steinway hammer rail cloth revisited

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 22 May 1999 16:52:13 EDT

After reading the comments about the Steinway hammer rail cloth, I have a
question.  Several of you substitute sandpaper for the cloth used by
Steinway.  Why do you do that?  But first, why does Steinway use the cloth?

With Steinways propensity for doing everything to the n'th degree, I have a
theory why they use cloth.  I don't know if I am right, but I am sure some of
you will tell me.

I think the reason they use cloth is to keep the action quieter. Because the
hammer rail is brass, when the hammer hits the string, the impact will
resound through the hammer shank flange to the rail. The cloth acts as a
buffer on that impact.  If you leave the cloth off, or replace it with a hard
material, even something like sandpaper, the impact will travel through the
hard material, and reverberate.

Any one care to discuss this?

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis