para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 23 May 1999 11:47:55 +0200

Richard Moody wrote:

> Hi Jim
>         I wanted to ask you but held off, thinking it would come up.   You
> mentioned....
>
> > the cents deviations of actual octavely related partials taken from
> > my Steinway L, note C4.
> >
> > 1st partial   2nd partial   4th partial   8th partial
> >
> > 2.1           2.8           6.2           20.2  in Cents
> >

> If I read it right does it say the first partial has a "cents deviation"
> of 2.1 ?
>
> I can't figure out how the fundamental (commonly called the first partial)
> can deviate by more than 0.0 cents let alone 2.1.

I get the idea that this must be 2.1 cents deviation in relation to the ET
theoretical value for that fundemental. In which case one is measuring here
something more then simple string inharmonicity.  At least thats the only way it
makes sense to me.

I get the feeling that the term inharmonicity is a bit loosely used. We have at
least three seperate things we refer to with this word. String Inharmonicity,
Inharmonicity with relation to ET, and finnally Para Inharmonicity which no one
seems to be quite sure what the causes are.  In this last case I have a hard time
accepting that it should figure into definition for string inharmonicity as it may
turn out that it has nothing to do with strings at all. Just a thought

Richard Brekne