para-inharmonicity and tuning curves

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 23 May 1999 17:40:32 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

You are right that I was measuring something beside inharmonicity when I
measured 2.1 cents at the fundamental or 1st partial. I could have simply
tuned the fundamental to 0.0 cents before taking the measurements, then
all of the other partials would have been 2.1 cents less. I didn't bother.
I thought it would be so obvious. Isn't it a strange thing that not every
thing which is obvious to me is not obvious to others and vice versa? It
could be a lot worse if we were communicating in different languages.

If I had tuned the note first, it would not have made any difference in
the straight line graph when plotted cents VS partial number squared.

If I may further answer Richard Moody's question about the 8th partial,
the 20.2 cents shows inharmonicity of 18.1 sharp of the fundamental raised
3 octaves.

The normal usage of the word inharmonicity applies only to the amount which
a partial deviates from a true harmonic for which we have formulas that
figure in the stiffness factor of a string. Whatever deviates from this
is now referred to as para-inharmonicity. We could have called it a
non-conformity (a term used in Geology) e.g. it doesn't fit our theory.
To date, there are no formulas for para-inharmonicity. We don't know enough
about it yet. Obviously (at least to me), known para-inharmonicity
exists. We speculate on its causes, as I have already done in previous
emails. We can definitely see its affects upon our measurements which lack
exponential evenness. What can we do about it? Very little without upsetting
other normal things about a string in our tuning process. If it affects the
tuning of a simple 2-1 type octave, our adjusting because of it would throw
out other relationships. When we tune by ear, we tend to make the best
compromise we can. In tuning with machine, we can minimize this problem by
tuning by higher partials which are less affected by para-inharmonicity. If
we give total attention to lower partials which exhibit para-inharmonicity,
we do so at the expense of throwing out many other relationships.

The second definition of inharmonicity which you cited has nothing to do
with inharmonicity. This is just conversion factors which are needed when
translating readings taken with an equal tempered machine. It was through
the use of this type machine that inharmonicity was discovered in the first
place.

Jim Coleman, Sr.