longitudinal mode vibrations

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 23 May 1999 20:49:26 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

You have jumped to the wrong conclusion about the whip ilustration. That
may have been some one else's illustration, but it is not complete. A string
with fixed points WILL have longitudinal modes as well as transverse modes.

Tie a rope to a door knob and then pluck the rope snear your tightly held
end. You will see the wave travel from one end to the other, back and forth.
This quickly sets up standing transverse waves in piano strings, but the
longitudinal mode does not go away. It is when one of the longitudinal modes
is very close to one of the transverse modes that you will hear a very
high sharp peak. Jim Hayes is working on additional patents beyond what the
Baldwin Piano Co. holds which were made by Harold Conklin when he was at
Baldwin.

Yes, plain strings also have longitudinal modes. Their problems occasionaly
show up in the Tenor section mainly, but Bass strings often show these bad
characteristics. Incidentally, there are some good characteristics also.

Jim Coleman, Sr.