longitudinal mode vibrations

Jos josvanr@xs4all.nl
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:15:48 +0200

Richard Moody wrote:

>         So is transverse the up and down motion of the string? ie that which
> determines the cps?  I am still trying to visualize a string vibrating end
> to end.

You can visualize longitudinal motion using one of those long spiral
springs.
When you push at one side, the windings of the spring get denser there,
and
the denser area moves to the other end of the spring.

The steel a string is made of, is very dense, so I don't think you get
mutch
longitudinal vibration there, or maybe only in very high frequencies.
(>5000 Hz?)

Jos.