Value of Chickering grand

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 24 May 1999 08:44:14 -0500

Al Jeschke wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> A Lady contacted me requesting information regarding the value of a
> Chickering 5ft 10 inch grand piano Ser. #152873.  The serial number
> indicates that it was built in 1934.  It is to help settle the family
> estate.  One of the members of the family wishes to keep the piano, and
> with that in mind, they wish to set a fair value to the piano.  The
> value can be given either in U.S. or Canadian funds.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Al Jeschke
> Calgary, Alberta

Sounds like a Chickering "Quarter Grand", (Does it have really skinny cheek
blocks?)  These were the ones with the aweful sectional pin blocks.  The
name, of coarse, carries some weight but these were not all that great of a
piano.  If it is in need of a complete rebuilding I'd say $1,500.00 might
be fair.  If I was shopping for one to rebuild I would likely pass on a
Quarter Grand.

Rob Goodale, RPT