Inharmonicity

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:52:09 EDT

>I still wonder if anyone has isolated a string showing negative inharmonicity
>(para) from the piano and checked to see if it still displays the this
>under
>more a controlled vibration. Seems to me that it might be nice to know
>for sure
>if para is in the string, or if it is caused by other things.

Greetings,
    It has been observed that the rigidity of the termination causes an
effective change in the string's pitch,  if all other things remain equal. (
I THINK this is covered in "Five Lectures on the Piano" by Anders &
Askenfelt?).   This causes the string with a flexible termination to operate
as though it were slightly longer than measured, and a more rigid terminal
causes the string to operated as though it were shorter than measured.
    I would assume that this has some bearing on relative levels of
inharmonicity found across a piano's scale.