Bridge pin problem. Wurlitzer C173

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Thu, 27 May 1999 20:51:00 -0500

The piano is a new Wurlitzer C173,  5'8" grand.  It has a bridge pin
problem in the high treble.  The center pin on the speaking side of the
note has either been drilled incorrectly or has moved over so that it's
nearly against the right side unison string. At this time it doesn't
seen to effect the tuning of the note. However Balwin is willing to pay
for the repair. Without pulling the pin I can't  tell if the wood around
the pin may have been defective or as I mentioned the pin was drilled
incorrectly. I have a digital picture "jpg" format if anyone would like
to see the problem.

My thought at this time is that the area around the pin should be
drilled to about 1/4" and a hard wood plug installed. The plug would
then be cut to match the termination line and curve of the bridge. This
would eliminate the possibility of a defect in the bridge material
causing the problem in the first place.  There does seem to be enough
clear area in the center of the three strings to just  drill the darn
hole again.  Of course plug the off course one. I would like the groups
thoughts on this.. Have you seen this before on a new piano?  Quality
control sticker is about 3" away on the plate.. Oh well! Must have been
a long day.. Anyone in Central Illinois like to do the repair? I won't
because it's my piano and it's under Balwin's warranty. They gave me
option of fixing it myself or getting someone to do it. Either way they
will pay for the repair.