Stringing materials estimates (tech)

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 24 May 1999 20:07:10 +0100

In article <Pine.SOL.4.10.9905241148080.29992-100000@tempest.rs.itd.umic
h.edu>, Ron Torrella <torrella@umich.edu> writes

>I wonder if some of you with lots and lots of restringing experience would
>care to explain how, when you're writing up a job estimate, you figure out
>how much string you're going to use in a given wire size. Do you base your
>guess in terms of how many 1# coils you'd use or do you figure by the
>foot, anticipating that 1# and 5# coils have a certain amount of footage
>per reel? Then, when you're figuring materials costs, do you figure a
>specific charge per unison or do you just estimate the footage used and
>charge by the foot?

Hi Ron,

I get mine in 500g coils one in the tin and one in the box when the tin
is out I replace it with the one in the box and reorder one for the box
it is so cheep I just charge a flat fee for the steels at present it is
£25.00. I have done it that way since 1976.

Barrie,

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK Piano Page                              |