It caught up with me

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Tue, 25 May 1999 17:29:06 +0200

Hi, today I came to tune a piano which I thought I'd not see again. It is a
modern Thurmer upright (about 120 cm) it is unique in its design in that in
the last octave the hammer shank length increases one by one so the top A
is about 1 1/2" higher than the rest of the hammer line. To do this the
last octave's strings are splayed like a fan, as well as this stings in the
treble break (which normally slant to the right) on this piano's design
slant to the left. There are aggrafes throughout with the line in the
treble sloping down and then up in line with the last octave.

The design I can live with, but it has horible false beats in the last
copuple of octaves and wasn't nice to tune. That I had last tuned it in
1985 I the then owner was going overseas but had then sold it, to todays
customer. ho hum.

Brian Lawson
____________________________
Lawsonic Pianoforte Services