Squeezing Baldwin L into elevator

George Gilliland lgd@epix.net
Tue, 25 May 1999 19:55:43 -0400

Forgive this self-serving intrusion, but I could use some experienced
advice on a problem I haven't yet encountered:

We're moving into a co-op in the city, and the elevator will only
accomodate my  piano (Baldwin L) if it's tipped vertically, either on its
tail end, or on its keyboard end. This would theoretically be only during
the approx. 1-2 minutes it takes to go up in the elevator. Has anyone ever
had to do this? Or is this considered unprofessional or potentially harmful
to the instrument? The elavator is rated for 1800 lbs. I think an L weighs
less than 900, but I'm not sure. Although it's just a lowly Baldwin, I love
this piano and don't want to bring any harm to it.

Rigging or hoisting is probably not a possibility.

Many Thanks in Advance,
George Gilliland

LGD Associates
Design and Illustration