introducing myself

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Wed, 26 May 1999 08:27:17 -0600

>    Hello,       My name is Jaume Fabregas...

Greetings, Jaume.

>...I wanted to ask how to  protect felt from moth.
>Today I serviced a piano which was quite badly
>eaten and  the owner was a little worried.

My understanding is new felts are pre-treated.  Enoz is  the name of one
product for treating existing felts.

>I also wanted to ask if there is a relationship  between moth and woodborer...

Don't know, but there was a recent discussion on this.
Check archives at   http://www.ptg.org/archive/pianotech.php/

>I am going to replace the white keytops...

1) Remove with heat and moisture (steam iron and dampened washcloth), use
tops only, clean and spray paint the fronts to match, plane the tops of the
keys with a rotary planer to allow for the extra thickness in the new
keytops, use contact cement for glue, then remove excess keytop material
with a sander and hand file.
2) Or send keys to a person who is properly equipped to do this type work
3) And / or to convention classes and learn how it is done by others.

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731