Cleaning the plate

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 May 1999 18:20:01 EDT

beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca writes:

<< Hi List,

 I am reconditioning an old Doherty upright at the present time. The plate is
 very dirty. I am looking for methods of cleaning it before re-gilding. Any
 suggestions would be much appreciated.

 Thanks

 Terry Beckingham
 Associate Member >>

There is a very good cleaner called "Simply Green," available in most
hardware stores, that does a very good job of cleaning. You can use it
straight for bad spots, or dilute it with water for general cleaning.

After you have washed the whole plate, and especially around the hitch pins,
use an air hose to blow the dirty water out from under and around the hitch
pins.  This will keep them from rusting.

Willem Blees.