Squeezing Baldwin L into elevator

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Wed, 26 May 1999 22:36:06 EDT

Hi George

I work for Baldwin, and was employed as a mover for a while.

I have run into this very problem, with this very piano.

Yes, it can be moved in the elevator.

Here is how you do it. First you need to measure the height of the opening.
Although the door opening is probably 7' or more and the piano is 6'3", you
need to account for the length of the grand board.  Most boards will be 7',
so some will not fit through the door opening.  I will explain how to get
around this later.  Next, you need the manpower for the task. i.e. someone to
hold the elevator door, someone to steady the instrument, etc..

Next, you need good padding on all sides of the instrument.

Now specifically the task.  While holding the elevator door open, back the
piano into the elevator nose end first (on the dolly).  Then place two pads
on the floor outside the elevator.   Make one fold in each pad and place one
on top of the other. Place the pad in such a fashion that if the lifter were
to lift the piano off the dolly, the pad would be right under the key end of
the grand board, and extend away from the elevator.  This way when you tilt
the piano on its face (keys) there will be sufficient padding to protect the
finish.  Now go ahead and tilt the piano on its face.  The piano should be
just outside the elevator at this time (on its face).

If you are not able to clear the doorway at the top of the elevator when you
tip it up.  You will have to "walk" it into the elevator while it is
teetering on the grand board.  To do this,  lift the piano like you are going
to take it off the dolly.  Next,  raise it even higher this will balance the
piano on the front of the grand board.  Tip the piano from side to side still
balancing the piano on only one corner of the board.  With each consecutive
rock (side to side)  "walk" the piano into the elevator.   Now again, place
padding under the face on the floor of the elevator.  The piano should be
relatively stable on its face.

If you could clear the door.  With the piano on its face outside the
elevator.  Grab the pads on the side closest to the elevator and slide the
piano into the elevator this way.

Now just reverse this to get out, and you are home free.

I apologize if I have been too remedial in my details, but it is difficult to
explain something physical in words.  If I have not covered some aspect of
the move, or if you have any questions please contact me.

MBrat70179@AOL.com

Mike