longitudinal mode vibrations

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 27 May 1999 00:47:21 -0500

> On Wed, 26 May 1999, Richard Moody wrote:
>
> > The Birchett test?

> Didn't you read his suggestion about dragging your fingernail lengthwise
> over the bass string coils or wraps in order to clearly hear the
> longitudinal mode?

OH  Birkett.  Sorry for the mis-read.  Stephen Birkett, much esteemed
contributor to this list. His post of a review of Montal's scheme of an
equal temperament from the 1840's is floating around here in a print out,
always turning up.  Very interesting. .

Yes he talked about dragging your thumb nail on a bass string.   Haven't
done it yet as far as tuning goes. Should I?  But this is another
"discussion" that really should be a "live in person demonstration"  IMHO.
But glad to see it get started this way.
   Besides, I didn't see you doing it.  ; ) (nor anybody else) But hey,
I'll try anything at
least once esp. if it relates to piano tuning.

Ric Scritch