hammer brushing

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 08:56:07 -0500

Ron, David, and List:

Sorry to be late on this thread from a few days ago.  I tried this technique
on our 1919 Bechstein, which (I think) had had new hammers hung at some time
between its construction and when my family acquired it.

Anyway, used the brass brush, and also tried a small steel bristle brush. Do
you know if steel is acceptable to use on hammers, or should one stick with
the brass? I know brass is softer than steel, and will remove less. However,
on this piano, the hammers were quite grooved, and the steel took a bunch of
that out, whereas the brass did not do as much removal. (I don't think there
has been any hammer filing or voicing in the last 20 years, and it has been
played very regularly since my Mom is a piano teacher.)

After cleaning with the brass and steel brushes, the tone was very soft--too
soft. So I dry ironed the hammers using Roger Jolly's technique as written
in this month's PTJ (Good article!!). That brightened it up very nicely, and
the piano sounds loads better than before. The tone is more precise rather
than splattered.

Anyway, thought I'd ask the list's opinion. By the way, this was my first
attempt at this voicing stuff, and I wanted to get some direction if anyone
has an opinion? Opinions--on this list???? <grin>

If there are archives on this, I'd be glad to look for them. Under what
topic would they be classified?

Thanks.

John Formsma