Your Opinion Requested

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 13:28:38 -0600

At 11:48 AM 5/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I concur sort of.  I have lots of Baldwins and Wurlitzers from a
>past era and they are going strong.  But if I had the choice I'm
>not sure I would pick them over a Yamaha.  I'd have to see the
>new product.
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
Hi David,
	The new stuff is pretty good. One thing about cabinet damage is. . .  when
a Yamaha gets all beat up, it looks. . . worse off than when an old K&C or
BPO is trashed. I don't know, maybe that's a silly thing, but ....well,
it's sad. Some won't get beat up, but we've all seen some of those poor
pianos that have really been around. When a good old sturdy BPO is that
worn, it's got character. Even a soundly thrashed S&S grand can look regal
. But the shiny imports just look.... vandalized. Looks should be the last
thing we consider, it just seems like schools should know.
	The point about how many action brackets is valid, though, when seen in
the context of heavy wear situations. I really don't like how much flex
appears in some of the two-or-three bracket systems within a couple of
years of hard play and abuse. Keybed flex is a big issue, too. With .....
inexperienced .... moving help, like around campus, some of the studio
pianos just don't maintain structural integrity very well. I've seen
dropped 243s and some that were rolled on their factory castors over bricks
and stuff. Pedestals still intact and good tuning stability.
	I think the biggest point is that we're talking about institutional use.
There's no denying that Yamahas are good, and hold up fairly well in the
home. Some of the KK's just shouldn't be allowed in a school. (like the
CX-5H) And we no longer have to cring when we find out that we're about to
go service the new Kimball that the choir bought. So....

backtoworkbacktoworkbacktoworkbacktoworkbacktoworkbacktoworkbacktowork... I
go,

Guy Nichols, RPT