RE Grand whippen retrofit

Loftune@AOL.COM Loftune@AOL.COM
Fri, 28 May 1999 01:41:51 EDT

I have in my care a George Steck 8'-9'(?) grand with a very unusual
whippen/capstan configuration. Instead  of a cushion, the whippens are pinned
to a kind of sticker(flange?). One end of the sticker is pinned to the
whippen and the other is pinned to the capstan. (Thankfully, this end has a
set screw!) The capstan is the double screw type capstan accessible only with
an offset screwdriver.

I don't relish the thought of loosening 88 set screws just to remove the
stack, nor do I look forward to regulating the hammer blow once I replace the
hammers.

My question is this:

If I replace the odd whippens with conventional ones and replace the old
capstans with 1"(?) dowel capstans, am I asking for trouble with the action
geometry?

Does anybody have any experience/suggestions for how to go about changing
them?

Or is it better just to live with the old parts if they are still serviceable?

Okay, okay, that's three questions, but you get the idea.

Thanks,		Jack Lofton, RPT	Seattle