An untrue from Steinway was Re: Do Steinways appreciate?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 28 May 1999 09:13:18 +0200

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote

> Yes, salesmen do say anything to make a sale. But when the former president
> of the company makes that statement, it becomes more than just sales hype.
>
> You say your Steinway L will sell for $20,000 once it has been rebuilt.
> That's nice.  But how much will cost you to get that job done? (presuming you
> don't do the work yourself). My speculation is around $15,000 to $18,000. So
> is it worth getting rebuilt? If it is worth $12,000 as is, why spend $15,000
> to have it be worth $20,000?
>
> I think Steinway is promoting an untrue. I don't want to say they are lying,
> because that is too harsh. Steinways are great instruments, but to promote
> that they will increase in value, even to the tune of 1% per year, is
> misleading the consumers.
>
> Willem Blees
> RPT

It might be appropriate to mention that this "appreciation"  kinda depends on the
way the instrument has been treated through the years. Climate, service etc. If
conditions are optimal, I see no reason to doubt that such quality instruments
will "age" in a very positive fashion.

Some car manufacturers (exclusive types) make the same kinds of claims, but no
one expects one of these to become more valuable if it is allowed to rust away,
get all banged up, have major engine parts etc replaced.

Steinways promoting is probably not so untrue, rather the impact of proper
service and care (or the lack thereof) is grossly understated.

Richard Brekne