hammer brushing

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 28 May 1999 22:37:24 -0700

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I've been following this thread with some interest, and this is the
> first one I recall seeing that mentions just how the brushing is done.
> Do you brush sometimes in line with the string cuts and sometimes across
> them?  And if both techniques are used, how do you decide when to do
> what?

I don't brush "athwartships" but always with the string cuts, as I do
with hammer filing. This is partly because I don't want to damage the
flanges. And I doubt that side-to-side brushing would result in a
well-groomed or -shaped hammer. So I can't see any advantage in that
technique.

Sometimes, when I tune for my dentist, I floss between the keys.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA