Brass !

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sat, 29 May 1999 19:24:40 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/1999 4:50:10 PM, Jack wrote:

<<Hey Jim !

   <<"How many flanges do you need.
Did I tell you the  "123" Chick. is a bear? Or did I forget? O,well . What
else is new?">>

Hi Jack !
  Betcha don't here that often in airports huh? :-)
Actually that thingee went fairly well..AFTER the case/rim repair. The piano
will be featured when the Music Room is discussed in a seven part series to
be aired on PBS.  The mansion that this floral '123' godess lives in ( I
named it Irma LeDuce ) was built by the W.P. Rogers family in the late 20s.

  I have inspected/annealed all 88 brass whippen flanges and silver soldered
those with cracks.  I had two of the flanges left over from some past
misadventure and installed them on this action leaving me two originals to
experiment with, I chose 1 cracked and 1 uncracked.
  With the assumption that if I tightened down the screw on a center pin hard
enough I could cause the uncracked one to crack.......I annealed the flange
cleaned it up and cranked down on the screw/clip and a center pin....the
thingee bent but it 'did not' crack.  So I straighted it back up reannealed
it and put it in my supply of "useless thingees".  Next I took the cracked
flange cleaned it up, annealed it and then silver soldered it.  I tried the
same technique as with the first flange and again it 'bent' but it 'did not'
recrack...though the screw clip did split at the screw hole
:-)...........................Long term reliability of this stuff? I don't
know but we shall see.

  <<"Golf In KC.? tell me--tell me.">>
Jack Wyatt ">>

Well I'm certainly gonna play golf, though what you do on a course could
hardly be called "golf" ! :-)

  Thanks for the offer on the flanges.
Jim Bryant (FL)