bass tuning

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 29 May 1999 20:33:52 -0500

Dear List,

I have a general topic, but have some specific questions also if anyone can
help.

In tuning the bass, which are the best partials to listen to? I have four
books on tuning: J. Cree Fischer, Reblitz, "Let's Tune Up" by John W.
Travis, and "Professional Piano Tuning" by W. Dean Howell. These books seem
to be a little vague, which makes me wonder if tuning the bass has to come
by experience. For instance, Reblitz gives some chords to try to see what
sounds best with the chord. Travis says listen for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th,
and 7th partials, and then "try to lean the lower tones toward the bass--but
only very, very slightly."  For small pianos, "lean ... toward the bass
without producing any audible beats" which makes it blend with the upper
notes. What have you found is the best for tuning a "fantastic" bass?

Specifically, today's tuning brought me to a fairly nice Wurlitzer console.
I turned off my SAT and tuned it aurally, with a Vallotti temperament. The
temperament turned out fine, as did the treble. As I moved into the bass, it
became progressively harder to hear (which is a common problem, so I read).
In addition to the more general topic of bass tuning, what is best to do
while tuning the bass on smaller pianos? I have been using the technique
described by Bill Bremmer in which the double octave and twelfth are made to
beat equally. This seems to work well for me, but today I could not hear
those partials well on the Wulitzer. If you have any suggestions for budding
aural tuners, I surely would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

John Formsma