Tilting on the lyre

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun, 30 May 1999 14:52:22 -0500

Bill & List,

   Someone else has mentioned The Piano Horse. I will strongly second the
use of it. With this, there is no need to take the time to romove the lyre,
install dummy, remove dummy, reinstall lyre.
   Once it's in position, the left leg is high enough for one person to
remove the leg, then the entire piano is rolled on over onto the skid
without the lyre even touching the floor. Then the lyre and legs are
removed as usual. Reverse the procedure for setting it back up.
   I don't have one but have seen it in operation at a dealership I do some
work for. It's so simple, I've even considered getting one to use with the
occasional "in-house" moves here. It's one of those "Now why didn't I think
of that" things.

Avery

>He had a special lyre, which I believe was made by Yamaha for moving Yamaha
>grands. It was more or less solid maple, with the lower left side of the lyre
>rounded. One would replace the normal lyre with this strong dummy one and
>confidently use the lyre to tilt the piano. The round corner on the bottom
>left made tipping  very easy and controlled.
>
>Anyone else ever used on of these?
>
>I wonder if a "generic" dummy lyre could be built which would accommodate
>many different grands?
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

mailto:atodd@uh.edu